Lead Manager – Public Policy
The Association of International Certified Professional Accountants (the Association) is the most influential body of professional accountants, combining the strengths of the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) and The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) to power opportunity, trust and prosperity for people, businesses and economies worldwide. It represents 650,000 members and students in public and management accounting and advocates for the public interest and business sustainability on current and emerging issues. With broad reach, rigor and resources, the Association advances the reputation, employability and quality of CPAs, CGMAs and accounting and finance professionals globally.
Summary of Role
The Lead Manager – Public Policy’s primary objective is to raise awareness and understanding of the value of the accounting profession in Westminster and Whitehall by influencing policy and contributing to the development of our strategy. Responsible for building relationships and identifying opportunities for the Association and for writing and editing our responses to public consultations both in the UK and elsewhere in the world.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Identify opportunities and draft responses to UK parliamentary, UK government, EU or regulator and any other relevant consultations;
- Prepare high-quality briefing materials for senior internal stakeholders to support the delivery of the Association’s influencing priorities;
- Scan horizon for upcoming policy developments and activities and maintain a public affairs schedule;
- Contribute to the development of a Westminster and Whitehall contact programme for senior leadership and staff in order to develop the Association’s relationship with key decision-makers and Westminister and Whitehall. Responsible for plan implementation;
- Monitor political environment and provide timely feedback of intelligence to all relevant internal staff;
- Track the progress of bills and other parliamentary activity;
- Help develop and maintain public affairs contacts in parliament, government and with other stakeholders;
- Identify and develop relationships with UK All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs) relevant to the Assocation;
- Manage internal and external relationships with key stakeholders/partners to meet/exceed strategic and tactical goals and objectives;
- Provide internal forecasts of the likely effect of public policy changes on their organization;
- Write and edit responses, reflecting our position, for government and regulator consultations in jurisdictions outside of the UK.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills with an eye for detail;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines;
- Ability to organise, prioritise and schedule work assignments;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills in writing, speaking, and formal presentations;
- Skills in formulating policy, developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
- Excellent programme delivery/ project management experience;
- Natural networker & relationship builder; ability to interact confidently with senior business and government leaders;
- Commitment to upholding the highest ethical business practices;
- Flexibility and ability to work well as part of a team and across diverse teams to co-create value;
- Collaborative approach and mind-set;
- Solution focused with “can-do” attitude;
- Intellectually curious;
- Self-motivated and pro-active approach to work;
- Attention to detail, rigorous high standards;
- Ability to travel, primarily within the UK.
Required Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Demonstrable stakeholder relations management experience;
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience;
- Significant experience in public policy, parliament or public affairs;
- Sound knowledge of political, business issues and emerging trends;
- Working knowledge of office support functions and relevant computer packages.
Preferred Experience, Qualifications & Education
- Knowledge of the accounting profession is desirable.
Employers want to know how you found their job advert so please state that you found this position advertised on politjobs.uk.