British Red Cross seeks Public Affairs Officer
Public Affairs Officer
About the organisation
The British Red Cross helps millions of people in the UK and around the world to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies, disasters and conflicts.
Our volunteers and staff help people in crisis to live independently by providing support at home, mobility aids and transport. We also teach first aid skills.
We are part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent humanitarian network. We refuse to ignore people in crisis.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, these include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
- Up to 6% contributory pension
- Childcare vouchers
We have an exciting new opportunity for a Public Affairs Officer to work within the policy, research and advocacy department, focused on effective advocacy at Westminster and Whitehall.
The British Red Cross helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We mobilise human kindness to support people at the most vulnerable moments of their lives.
The role of Public affairs Officer sits within our reshaped Communications and Engagement Directorate which is charged with giving voice to people in crisis. We are looking for outstanding advocates, communicators and creatives to join us and help take our engagement and influencing to the next level.
If you are a talented and committed public affairs professional who can help us to inspire human kindness when crisis strikes, we would very much like to hear from you. Join us and become part of our global humanitarian movement.
About the role
The Public Affairs Officer will directly advise the public affairs manager to provide effective outreach to Westminster (MPs and Peers) and other political audiences such as councillors and metro mayors to help influence policy and practice change in order to improve the lives of those who are vulnerable and in crisis.
You will work with policy and public affairs colleagues in the devolved nations as part of a well joined up, UK-wide public affairs team and help develop and lead on the delivery of the public affairs / influencing strategies for priority policy areas of relevance to the British Red Cross.
About the team
The role of Public Affairs Officer sits within the communications and engagement directorate. The communications and engagement directorate tells the stories about who we are, what we do, what we believe, and the difference we make to people’s lives – so that both externally and internally people act, behave, or make decisions in a way that results in a positive change for people in crisis. The department aims to develop and lead on strategic advocacy priorities, including the refugee and asylum system, health and social care, first aid and emergency response.
About the person
- Ideally educated to a degree level or equivalent by experience in public/social policy, research, politics or similar, candidates should have:
- Experience of working in advocacy or public affairs teams.
- Experience of working with politicians either directly or indirectly.
- The ability to translate sometimes complex policy ideas into a persuasive format for a public or political audience.
- The ability to work diplomatically and professionally when managing our relationships with officials, elected representatives and other organisations.
- Good technical knowledge of the workings of the UK Parliament and Government.
- Knowledge, experience and/or demonstrable interest in public affairs and public policy development (e.g. politics, government affairs and/or parliamentary engagement) relevant to the UK work of the British Red Cross.
Closing date for applications is 23:59 on the 19th of February with interviews to follow.