Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management seeks Senior Policy Adviser
Senior Policy Adviser
About us and what we are seeking
The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) is the professional institution of choice for water and environmental professionals. We are a vibrant, creative and dynamic organisation with a membership of highly experienced environmental practitioners. We are seeking a dynamic, creative and committed policy professional to work in an intellectually stimulating, fast-paced environment that addresses some of the most important policy issues of our age.
CIWEM is well regarded for the professionalism of its policy and technical activities, its evidence-led approach and its ability to engage a range of audiences on environmental issues as diverse as air quality, microplastics, shale gas, flood risk management, water quality and climate change. In recent years we have built a reputation as a leading professional voice on these issues and this is an exciting opportunity to build on that platform, with an increasing focus on engagement with CIWEM’s international membership and stakeholders on global policy issues.
Working alongside the Director of Policy and within a team focused on policy, communications and publications, this role requires the ability to work across a diverse range of issues; to quickly assess and understand detailed policy implications; anticipate risks and opportunities for the sector; have a natural feel for the concerns, interests and motivations of political stakeholders; and work with colleagues to implement effective engagement campaigns that effect change. You will also need to further develop CIWEM’s own internal technical networks and to use these to positively influence environmental policies, both in the UK and internationally, in line with CIWEM’s charitable, public benefit remit. Furthermore, you will have an aptitude for building relationships with an extensive range of external stakeholders, identifying opportunities to work collectively with them to achieve common outcomes.
- Support the work of the Director of Policy and deputise where appropriate
- Provide advice on priorities for and content of CIWEM’s policy forward plan and assist in broadening CIWEM’s portfolio of policy outputs, including international policy engagement
- Support CIWEM’s engagement in Whitehall, Westminster, across the devolved administrations and regions and with international decision makers and stakeholders
- Produce written policy outputs (including reports, policy statements, briefing materials, letters and consultation responses to government, parliamentary committees and others)
- Plan and undertake advocacy and engagement around policy outputs with decision makers and external organisations
- Write policy related press releases and liaise with the press / media
- Represent CIWEM externally at meetings, events, roundtables and other appropriate fora
- Develop events based on policy outputs e.g. parliamentary launches
- Present CIWEM’s policy work at external meetings and conferences
- Deliver effective communication of policy outputs including design, articles, blogs and social media, in coordination with the Press and Communications Officer
- Manage and develop CIWEM’s technical panels and networks in support of policy outputs
- Provide advice to colleagues on matters relating to wider CIWEM activities such as communications, marketing and events
- Develop and manage an extensive network of contacts, making best use of CRM and other appropriate software
- Any other duties as required by the Director of Policy and CIWEM’s Senior Management Team
- Highly motivated individual with a positive, can do attitude who enjoys taking ownership of new areas
- A self-starter with the ability to lead projects
- A team player who is comfortable and effective at working with relevant teams (membership, marketing and events) across CIWEM
- Analytical skills and attention to detail to enable evaluation of wide ranging policy and technical information and develop well argued, evidence-based conclusions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to get to grips with complex technical information and communicate this effectively to a range of audiences
- Strong organisational skills, comfortable working in a high pressure, fast paced environment with competing demands
- Interpersonal skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people which promotes equality, diversity and inclusion
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Strong interest in current affairs and the environment, both within the UK and overseas
- Good understanding of UK policy and political landscape and the workings of Whitehall
- Up to date subject knowledge (or a demonstrable ability to acquire knowledge)
- Proven experience in public policy, public affairs, media relations and/or stakeholder engagement with a track record of successfully delivering outputs that meet project objectives
- Proven track record and experience of managing complex relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Proven track record of coordinating events, ensuring accuracy and attention to detail
- Comfortable with and experience of working with senior figures
- Good understanding of the role of professional, trade or other third sector bodies
- Highly competent with Microsoft and MS Office Suite
Please email your CV, together with a covering statement explaining why you meet the requirements for the role and want to work for CIWEM, to Alastair Chisholm, Director of Policy, email@example.com by Sunday 4th February at the latest.
Interviews will be held on 7th and 8th February.