ECITB seeks Public Affairs and Campaigns Manager
Public Affairs and Campaigns Manager
Salary: £38,000 pa + pension + benefits
About the role
The Public Affairs and Campaigns Manager will support the delivery of the ECITB’s public affairs activities in Westminster, the devolved nations and the English regions. Reporting to the Head of Policy and Corporate Affairs, you will devise parliamentary engagement plans and deliver a wide range of PR activities.
You will also have a prominent role in developing and implementing the ECITB’s careers strategy, including working closely with partner organisations to deliver impactful campaigns promoting STEM / engineering construction careers to the next generation.
This is a new role and is central to the ECITB’s 10 year strategic plan, which was published last year. You will work as part of a small, hands-on team, as well as with the ECITB’s regional staff and a wide range of external organisations. In addition, you will deliver and commission evaluation reports to enable the ECITB to measure the impact of its public affairs and campaigns activities.
An experienced public affairs professional with an interest in skills, you will have a track record of designing and delivering successful campaigns. You will thrive on working independently and as part of a small, multidisciplinary team. You will also have excellent communication and negotiation skills and a proven ability to interact effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
You will ideally have a background in public affairs/policy and will have worked previously either in government, parliament or for a campaigning/ lobbying organisation or educational charity. You will have an in-depth knowledge of the UK political system and a passion for STEM. You will also have a track record of working with multiple partner organisations to deliver successful campaigns.
This will be a varied and demanding role with plenty of opportunity to develop your skills. You will be a confident people person and a fast starter who can set and work to their own deadlines, while supporting wider team goals. You will be creative, motivated and adaptable and someone who thrives on devising and delivering impactful campaigns.
- Delivering impactful public affairs activities to promote the ECITB and our work with stakeholders in Westminster, Holyrood and Cardiff, as well as decision makers in the English regions.
- Devising parliamentary engagement strategies, including delivering/participating in events and providing briefings.
- Developing the ECITB’s STEM/careers offer, including initiating campaigns to encourage more young people and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) groups to enter the engineering construction industry, commissioning research and delivering engaging events.
- Identifying and harnessing opportunities for the ECITB to partner with other organisations engaged in the STEM careers space so as to maximise our impact and avoid duplication, and devising accompanying work plans.
- Work closely with other ECITB staff, including the Policy and Research Manager to articulate and promote policy positions and the ECITB’s labour market research, the Communications Manager to produce careers promotional materials and the regional teams to support local STEM engagement. The post holder will also support the work of the Heads of Skills Strategy for Scotland and Wales respectively to enhance the ECITB’s profile in the devolved nation assemblies.
- Building effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including parliamentarians and influencers in other relevant organisations.
- Representing the ECITB at public events and proactively seeking out speaking and engagement opportunities for the ECITB.
- Providing briefing and speechwriting to senior staff and the ECITB’s chair.
- Conducting evaluation activities, harnessing appropriate metrics to enable the ECITB to assess the value of its interventions.
- Providing regular and tailored reporting for the Head of Policy and Corporate Affairs and other members of the Executive Team.
- Deputising for the Head of Policy and Corporate Affairs wherever relevant.
- Support other members of the team in the delivery of day to day work tasks.
- Degree level in a relevant subject, ideally with post-graduate qualification.
- Experience of working in government (national or local), parliament or for an advocacy/lobbying organisation or charity.
- Experience of working either in a campaigns or a STEM-focused role, or both.
- In-depth understanding of the UK political system and policy-making and parliamentary processes, including in the devolved nations.
- Ideally have prior experience of working on UK skills policy and understands wider labour market issues.
- Ability to quickly grasp complex issues and communicate them succinctly and clearly in a wide range of formats to expert and non-expert audiences.
- Excellent negotiating and persuading skills. Ability to interact confidently with senior stakeholders and secure buy-in.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience of managing and delivering PR and parliamentary events.
- Strong IT skills, including Microsoft office.
- Ideally, experience of impact practice and conducting evaluations of small-scale campaigns / public affairs activities.
- An understanding of or interest in the engineering construction industry.
- Ability to anticipate longer-term changes, threats and opportunities for the ECITB, identifying and evaluating risk effectively.
Please refer to the Role Profile below for full details of the role and person specification.
Please send your CV and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of 27 July 2018.
Employers want to know how you found their job advert so please state that you found this position advertised on politjobs.uk.