Financial Conduct Authority seeks Public Affairs Officer, Communications
Public Affairs Officer, Communications
At the FCA, we’re creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We’re establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
The Communications Division builds internal and external confidence in, and understanding of, the work of the FCA. The Division enables the use of communications as a regulatory tool, telling people what we do, how we do it, and why we do it, to prompt behavioural change and promote mutual understanding with the communities in which we work. The Division consists of three areas:
- Corporate Communications
- Business & Consumer Communications
- Strategic Communications
As part of the Public Affairs team you will be part of developing an intelligence hub for public affairs within the FCA and use this information to influence and improve FCA communications and decision making. The team is responsible for promoting the FCA in the public affairs arena and supporting the business in responding to parliamentary enquiries.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building information from networks across Parliament and in the wider public affairs arena to interpret political developments for the organisation whilst explaining FCA policy and action to these people and responding to their enquiries
- Gather intelligence from internal networks, identify emerging risks and opportunities, and provide guidance to senior FCA staff, including Directors, the Chief Executive and the Chair
- Act as a briefing function, working closely with the organisation to prepare senior management for public and parliamentary events
- Act as Public Affairs lead for 2-3 high priority policy/supervisory issues at any one time and maintain an informed knowledge base on a number of policy and regulatory matters
- Understand and explain the political decisions that affect the financial services sector and work of the FCA to senior members of staff
- Support the MPs’ letters process
- Lead projects that ensure the FCA is communicating its work effectively to those involved in financial services policy
This is a great opportunity to help shape the interaction between Senior Policy makers, parliamentarians and regulators in the financial services sector. You will also hone your public affairs skills to ensure work of the FCA is understood and Parliament’s will is effectively conveyed to the organisation.
We’re a signatory to the Government’s Disability Confident scheme. This means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidates CV.
- Educated to degree level or similar qualification and/or equivalent years of proven
- Excellent written language skills, including the ability to present, and experience of presenting analysis in a clear and compelling way to variety of audiences
- Strong understanding of the political landscape and parliamentary procedure gained in a relevant environment such as public affairs consultancy, in-house public affairs function in Parliament
- Excellent written skills to produce briefings and materials for a variety of audiences
- Excellent verbal communications skills to brief senior colleagues and build strong relationships with a range stakeholders
- Experience of leading project teams to deliver outcomes
- Experience in gathering of intelligence from multiple sources to identify risks and trends within the political environment
- Experience of working on a number of areas of complex policy simultaneously
- Experience of managing and influencing political and/or other senior stakeholders
- Experience of working with senior decision makers in an organisation
- Sound judgment, effective decision making and personal accountability
- Understanding of and/or experience in financial services
- Line management of small teams
- The role is graded Senior Associate COM C
- The salary range will be approximately 42,000 to 50,000 GBP plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension
- Applications for this role close on 11/09/2018
If you are interested learning more about the role:
For internal applications, contact Lucy Matthews on Lucy.Matthews@fca.org.uk
For external applications, contact Kavi Vadera on Kavi.Vadera@resourcesolutions.com
Please note, applications must be submitted through our ONLINE PORTAL. Applications sent via email will not be accepted.
Employers want to know how you found their job advert so please state that you found this position advertised on politjobs.uk.