Foreign Office Seeks North Africa Research Analyst
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office seeks a
North Africa Research Analyst – C5 (SEO)
Main Purpose of Job
To provide informed and timely research, analysis, policy advice and constructive challenge on North Africa (Mauritania, Western Sahara, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt), both in response to requests and at own initiative, for use by FCO and other Government policymakers and based on in-depth specialist knowledge. In addition, you will be required to maintain regular contact with outside expertise, including the academic community, other parts of Government and analysts in partner governments.
Roles and Responsibilities
This job is located within Middle East & North Africa Research Group (MENARG), a small, highly motivated team of all-source analysts with deep experience of the region.
Our role is to deliver the best possible quality of analytical services for the FCO’s Middle East & North Africa Directorate (MENAD) and the rest of the FCO and Government, informing and improving UK policy-making towards the region.
- Responding to customer commissions or on own initiative, to produce timely, high-quality strategic analysis and policy advice on issues relating to North Africa.
- Bringing expertise to policy development, by disseminating selected external analysis, organising seminars, workshops and roundtables with external experts, and participating in analytical exchanges with partner governments.
- Contributing to the FCO’s diplomatic excellence agenda by helping colleagues across FCO and HMG deepen their regional knowledge, including by offering briefing and reading suggestions for new staff, organising teach-ins, seminars and workshops, and contributing to the development of the Diplomatic Academy and the MENA Cadre.
- Cultivating and maintaining a network of contacts in the UK and overseas in order to access high quality and accurate information. Attending conferences in the UK and overseas in order to maintain contacts and keep in touch with the latest relevant research. Carrying out regular research visits to North Africa.
- Contributing to cross-regional analysis and policy advice on the Middle East & North Africa and neighbouring regions. Close collaboration with other research groups on areas of common interest, particularly Africa Research Group and National Security Research Group, and with other Government departments.
- Assisting in the development of institutional memory and a long-term perspective on events, including by maintaining a well-organised archive of research material.
- Carrying out oral briefing where required, often at short notice and to senior customers.
- Changing priorities at short notice where needed and being flexible in type and length of written work produced (short/long pieces and to quick/long deadlines).
This role offers the chance to make a real difference to the formulation of the FCO’s policy agenda towards the region, a high-priority area of focus for the FCO. Developing the FCO’s understanding of how North Africa operates, its relations with the region and the rest of the world (including the UK), and how to ensure our relationships keep pace with developments in the region, will continue to command the close interest of Ministers and senior officials. The successful candidate will be uniquely placed to inform and shape that understanding.
The specific portfolio to be covered would be for agreement, depending on the successful candidate’s specific skill-set and operational requirements. The region can be unpredictable – flexibility is important, and you will expected to contribute outside your usual field of expertise.
- A relevant post-graduate degree (such as history, politics, international relations, area studies), or significant experience of political and/or security research or analysis (eg in academia, think tank, journalism, commercial organisation, risk consultancy, government department, NGO or international organisation).
- Demonstrable expertise of North Africa.
- A high level of analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French.
Please read the attached Candidate Pack in full for further information on the roles and responsibilities, minimum criteria required, details of the application process and on security clearance.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Specialist subject knowledge and expertise – For more information, please read the attached candidate pack
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Working for the Civil Service
Apply and further information
Contact point for applicants
Please include the seven digit vacancy reference number (1630980) in the subject line of your email.