Girl Effect seeks Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Manager
Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Manager
Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create youth brands and mobile platforms for young people in ways they love and interact with. We deliver these through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of the Role
12 Month FTC with view of permanent contract
Based in London, the remit of the Partnerships & MarComms team is to inspire and attract influence, funding and partnership for Girl Effect. Our close-knit team manages all marketing and communications activities related to the Girl Effect parent brand, supporting our in-country brand and product teams – including press, events and awards, digital channels, and creative production.
The MarComms function is more critical than ever to the success of the organisation and our ambitions: using sharp audience insight to build cut-through and fame for the Girl Effect parent brand, through a proactive pipeline of creative campaign platforms, issues management and thought leadership across owned and earned media and a regular drum-beat of targeted communications to our key corporate stakeholders.
This role is primarily London-based but travel to country may be required.
What You’ll Do
- Spearhead efforts to embed government affairs best practice across all of our markets, working with our government affairs agency and government affairs task force
- Oversee and provide comms and public affairs consultancy as we prepare to launch into 2 new markets
- Lead proactive marcomms campaigns that enhance the reputation of the Girl Effect brand
- Work with the Senior Manager to develop and manage our new CEO’s engagement plan
- Work with the Senior Manager and comms agency to provide ongoing issues management and crisis support at global level and in-country
- Work closely with the Partnerships teams to ensure we’re communicating with funders and partners in impactful ways
- Work closely with the communications agency, Senior Manager and MarComms specialist to deliver a world class press office function: including handling incoming media enquiries, organising press trips, and drafting comms materials
Who You Are
- You have proven track record of working in a corporate communications and public affairs environment (client or agency-side); with a minimum of 3-5 years experience in this area – media, big brand or development experience a plus.
- Issues management and experience handling press a must, as well as direct experience of working with governments
- You have a deep understanding of the global political environment, particularly on the political/development sector issues affecting Girl Effect. You can bring this to bear on all of our work
- You’re intellectually curious, with experience in understanding complex issues
- You’re persuasive and a good influencer
- You thrive under pressure and can handle competing priorities
- You’re a strategic and creative thinker, with the ability to apply and communicate thinking clearly
- You’re great writer, with the ability to adapt tone and style to our brand
- You’re an amazing project manager and have second to none organisational skills
- You thrive working in a team and cross-functionally across the organisation
- You’re culturally aware and respectful – curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate
- You have a positive can-do attitude
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
Deadline to apply – Monday September 3rd
Employers want to know how you found their job advert so please state that you found this position advertised on politjobs.uk.