GKN Aerospace seeks Public Affairs Manager
Public Affairs Manager
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world’s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the Opportunity
GKN Aerospace is looking for a UK Public Affairs Manager. Reporting into GKN aerospace’s leadership team in Europe and to the Director of Group External Relations this positon will play a key role in raising GKN’s profile in the UK with relevant public sector stakeholders and supporting the strategic objectives of the business. This position will be based in London with regular travel to GKN Aerospace’s sites throughout England, with occasional travel within continental Europe as well. The ideal candidate for this role will be an expert in the Westminster, Whitehall and English Local Authority decision making processes with a good understanding of the aerospace sector and manufacturing more broadly.
As the UK Public Affairs Manager for GKN Aerospace you will maintain GKN’s day to day relationships with Westminster and Whitehall Stakeholders, relevant LEPs and Local Authorities, and our trade bodies. You will be responsible for identifying and lobbying on policies that impact GKN, as well as promoting and safeguarding the reputation of GKN through a programme of political engagement. As an important voice for GKN in the UK, you will be required to work proactively with both internal and external stakeholders, including other members of the public affairs team, business development and engineering and technology as well as customers and trade bodies, to meet these objectives.
- Support the CEO of GKN’s European Aerostructures business in his interactions with public sector stakeholders.
- Work with the Director of Group External Relations, to develop and maintain relationships with BEIS, MOD, HMT, relevant MP’s, LEP’s and Local authorities as well as the Aerospace Technology Institute, the Aerospace Growth Partnership and relevant trade bodies.
- To support Business Development and the Engineering organisation in their interactions with Government and Public Sector bodies to ensure that GKN remains at the forefront of leading technologies
- To identify legislative and regulatory threats and opportunities and to devise strategies to mitigate these threats and maximise these opportunities
- From time to time, represent GKN Group interests in the UK.
Knowledge / Experience
- A university degree or equivalent qualification is required.
- Relevant experience in UK national politics such as in Westminster, Whitehall, a think tank, NGO or trade body.
- Knowledge of the decision-making processes of the UK Government.
- Experience of advocacy at a national level for the manufacturing sector is an advantage.
- Knowledge of the aerospace industry is an advantage.
- Competent in Microsoft Office programmes.
- You must have a legal right to work in the UK.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- You have strong analytic skills and are able to simplify complex matters.
- You are able to advise and direct senior executives and decision-makers.
- You can switch easily between various topics and make connections between different issues.
- You can think in broad conceptual frameworks, which lead to creative new insights and solutions.
- You have the ability to turn abstract plans into concrete actions.
- You are good at planning and prioritising.
- You are highly organised and a team player.
- You are a self-starter able to initiate and complete your own projects.
- You are results driven.
- You are willing to work in the evenings from time to time and to travel.
- You enjoy working with different people from a large variety of backgrounds.
GKN is a growing and dynamic company operating in a highly innovative sector. The right candidate will play a vital role in helping to build the company at a time of political and economic change.
Salary level: competitive
Closing date: 20th October 2017