Novartis seeks Government Affairs Manager England & Wales
Government Affairs Manager England & Wales
The England Government Affairs Manager role sits within the UK-wide Government Affairs team in our Oncology Market Access department in the Innovative Medicines division. The team works across England and the devolved nations cross-functionally with our business franchises and external partners to shape the external policy environment in order to support optimal patient access to our innovative medicines. We have a full and varied pipeline, with new cancer medicines launching every year.
To lead on the development and implementation of policy and government affairs initiatives in England and Wales which support the business objectives for priority in-market, launch and pipeline brands within the Oncology Business Unit. To facilitate effective trade association engagement to help achieve Novartis UK business objectives. To contribute to the development and execution of the UK-wide Government Affairs strategy for the Oncology Responsibilities will include: Identify and interpret challenges and opportunities for oncology and our medicines within government and NHS policy, judging where government affairs activity will add value Map, prioritise and track engagement with political, national-level NHS England (NHSE) and NHS Wales, industry and third party stakeholders as relevant to each project Develop relationships with identified external stakeholders, working cross-functionally with Communications, Medical and commercial teams as appropriate to develop strong partnership working relationships Work with external partners such as think tanks, industry groups and other third parties to develop evidence and policy collateral (reports, audits, surveys, etc) that supports priority brands Contribute to the UK-wide government affairs strategy, working closely with the colleagues in the devolved nations to ensure differences and synergies between the four nations are reflected appropriately Co-ordinate Novartis engagement with the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) across the Novartis UK divisions, ensuring members of different working groups are aligned on Novartis positioning on key issues, and facilitating information sharing regarding ABPI activity within the business Support and co-ordinate cross-divisional Novartis input into ABPI and European Medicines Group (EMG) consultation responses and policy initiatives Provide support with written and oral briefings as needed for senior management engagement with ABPI and EMG Contribute to or lead on NHS and health department consultations to articulate policy positions which support Novartis business objectives Act as an internal champion for the Government Affairs team, supporting initiatives to improve understanding and awareness of policy and government affairs work Support the Head of Government Affairs with cross-portfolio projects, senior management external stakeholder engagement and ad hoc issues as they arise.
Key Performance Indicators
Financial and Business Results:
- Country Pharmaceutical Organisation product revenue
- Positive policy and funding environment for the Novartis Oncology portfolio Operational Excellence:
- Strong and impactful relationships with political, NHSE and third party stakeholders
- Evidence of changing or leveraging policy at a national level to drive access and uptake locally
- Positive collaborative relationships across all relevant Business Franchises, Market Access and Communications
People, Capabilities, and Management:
- Code of conduct / corporate citizenship: compliance
- University degree English Experience in healthcare policy and public affairs, gained within a patient group, agency, industry, Government or NHS role
- Well-developed understanding of healthcare policy and regulatory environment, particularly NHS policy and structures and NICE
- Proven ability to develop trust-based relationships with parliamentarians, government officials, national level NHSE stakeholders, think tanks and other third parties
- Strong networker able to manage a large number of external relationships
- Ability to work cross-functionally, navigate large complex organisations and manage a high number of internal customers
- Proven ability to understand and clearly communicate complex and technical topics simply and succinctly
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.