Office for National Statistics seeks External Affairs Manager
External Affairs Manager
About the job
ONS statistics such as GDP, inflation, crime and migration frequently drive the news and political agenda. Our statistics are in the news virtually every day, and our stakeholders include Government departments, private businesses, academics, think tanks and campaigning groups.
As an External Affairs Manager at the ONS you will play an important role helping us communicate and engage with external audiences on a broad range of issues, from fundamental questions about how we measure the modern economy to our plans to develop world-class expertise in data science.
You will play an active role in identifying and managing risks and opportunities which may impact ONS’ reputation, and will oversee the management and delivery of communication strategies and plans to support organisational objectives.
You will provide advice and challenge to internal colleagues, ensuring that both stakeholder needs and reputational risks are considered. You will work with media relations, internal communications and other colleagues to deliver integrated communications support to the organisation.
This is a fast-paced and rewarding role, requiring a wide set of skills, ranging from communication delivery and management, influencing skills and the ability to understand and analyse the external environment.
- Oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of communication and engagement strategies and plans
- Build and maintain relationships with senior managers and other colleagues to provide them with high quality, trusted and timely communication and engagement advice
- Keep the wider political, policy and media landscape under regular review, to identify any potential issues and opportunities early and develop communication strategies in response
- Work with media relations, internal communications and other colleagues to deliver integrated communication plans and responses to reputational issues
- Relevant experience in communications, public relations and/or stakeholder engagement is Essential.
- Knowledge of, or interest in, relevant disciplines such as economics, statistics and social sciences would be advantageous.
- The post holder can be based in any of our offices, however there is an expectation that the successful candidate will undertake some travel within the UK.
We’ll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
- Communications – Ideas: Core
- Communications – Insight: Core
- Communications – Implementation: Core
- Communications – Impact: Core
- Seeing the big picture
- Leading and communicating
Newport, Fareham, or London
Closing date: 31 Jan 2018