OVO Energy seeks Public Affairs Manager
Public Affairs Manager
At OVO, we are building the energy company of the future. By embedding technology into our DNA, we aim to solve the world’s energy problems as well as empowering our customers to take back control. Whether its topping up your energy with the touch of a button to effortlessly managing your account online, our problem-solving innovations makes our customers lives simpler and easier. We also believe smart tech holds the key to creating a more sustainable future for the planet and the people who live here. Our ambitions as a leading entech company are great but thanks to our shared sense of optimism and can-do attitude, we will continue to inspire progress and change the energy sector for the better.
Where in the world of OVO will I be working and what will I be doing?
If you’re interested in politics, energy policy and the strategic world of corporate affairs in a values driven company with a start-up culture, OVO is the place for you.
We are looking for a passionate and motivated Public Affairs Manager to manage the day-to-day running of our public affairs and policy team. OVO is working across a number of innovative and exciting policy areas so we are looking for an individual who can quickly grasp detail and wants to get actively involved in campaigns.
Responsibilities will include
- Working with the Head of Corporate Communications to identify, collaborate on, influence and, where appropriate, form strategic partnerships to deliver specific business objectives to further the OVO’s external impact. S/he will also find ways to ensure OVO’s message stands out from the crowd.
- Working closely with the business to help them articulate and communicate their policy asks to Government and key stakeholders.
- Help plan and execute OVO’s public affairs strategy that brings together the policy priorities of the business and positions OVO as a leader in the transition to a new energy system.
- Work closely with the Corporate Communications and Regs and Compliance team to help deliver their strategic objectives.
- Deliver and manage external political engagement events to promote our strategic objectives.
- Build and cultivate strong relationships with key influencers including politicians, trade bodies and lobby journalists.
- Analyse and report on political updates to the business, with support from Head of Corporate Communications and Head of Compliance and Regulation.
- Remain abreast of energy and technology policy developments, and adjacent sector-wide policy developments and direction of travel.
- Identify and advise on the impact of government policy objectives on the business, and identify mitigation opportunities.
That sounds super exciting, but… do I have what it takes?
Skills and Experience
- 4+ years of Public Affairs experience, in-house or agency, preferably working in a fast growing, entrepreneurial and/ or disruptive organisation
- Demonstrable experience of working collaboratively across business functions and with a variety of stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent political judgment
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of the UK Parliamentary and political network
- Experience collaborating with different business divisions and working across multiple themed companies to tell a coherent story
- Comfortable working in a fast-changing environment, appetite to raise the game and confidence to disrupt
- Self motivated and driven
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships at all levels
- Resilient and diplomatic; the ability to negotiate compromises and cope with changes in direction
- Energetic and results-focused