Pfizer seeks Government Affairs Manager
Government Affairs Manager
The role of Government Affairs Manager is critical to the successful delivery of the Corporate Affairs Strategy, and Pfizer’s reputation amongst key political opinion leaders. The successful person must be highly strategic, use to externally facing roles with a wide range of senior political stakeholders, and have a high degree of commercial acumen. The post holder will act as the single point of accountability in the development and delivery of high impact political shaping engagement programmes to support Pfizer’s business objectives.
The post holder will
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining a diverse range of highly effective relationships with key influencing political stakeholders (Government, parliamentarians, civil servants, etc) relevant to Pfizer UK’s business priorities and facilitating appropriate dialogue with Pfizer UK business leaders
- Develop robust strategic and operational plans to support the achievement of business objectives for short, medium and long-term success
- Have an in-depth understanding of the Government/political systems and processes in which the business has to operate in
- Although not required, having a understanding in the UK healthcare system would be helpful
- Be able to incorporate a broad range of relevant political, policy and business operation considerations in the development of strategic engagement plans
- Work closely with Therapy Policy and Public Affairs colleagues in order to develop robust supporting policy positions and creative propositions as relevant to respective area of the business
- Advise Senior Leaders on the political environment in order to inform development and implementation of robust Pfizer strategies to support business success
- Mobilise appropriate Corporate Affairs counterparts to deliver strategic engagement programmes that maximise reach and impact via all Corporate Affairs relevant audiences and channels – a truly coherent, integrated Corporate Affairs approach
- To lead relevant Government Affairs activity for your allocated area of responsibility, with the key goal of using political levers to secure market expansion and growth, and provide appropriate market defence as necessary
Government Affairs Team
The Pfizer UK Government Affairs Team, is part of the Communications Team and responsible for engaging political stakeholders to share the important contribution our industry makes through the discovery and development of medicines to meet unmet clinical need, the public health impact these medicines bring to patients and the contribution all of this contributes to society and the UK economy.
We work across the UK business to develop innovative communication initiatives; develop robust messages about our medicines, our business and the issues and opportunities facing us; and to manage brand and corporate issues. Through these activities we increase awareness and understanding of Pfizer and our medicines in order to help drive business results and enhance and protect our reputation.
We are an industry leading team who are passionate about what we do, with a broad range of experience and backgrounds which gives us a rich basis from which to develop the highest value, strategic communications programmes to support the UK business.
The Government Affairs role is a fantastic opportunity for a high performing, experienced Communications professional to join the team, as we forge ahead to be even more progressive and successful in our mission to tell our story and improve our reputation.
- Create, develop and deliver industry-leading strategic political campaigns to support the achievement of business objectives – short, medium and long-term success
- Develop and maintain positive, productive relationships with the necessary internal and external stakeholders in order to ensure comprehensive understanding of their business and relevant environmental factors
- Work closely with other business units to develop relevant engagement frameworks and propositions to advance key Pfizer UK corporate priorities
- Work in close alignment with the Communications, Policy and Public Affairs Managers and Colleague & Community Engagement Teams to ensure a coherent, truly integrated approach to Corporate Affairs support – maximising reach and impact via all Corporate Affairs audiences and channels
- Establish Pfizer as a thought leader: encourage and advance public debate on our priorities, secure industry leadership, and achieving alignment on Pfizer-led positions
- Build long-term advocacy amongst a diverse range of stakeholders including: Government, Parliamentarians, third party policy groups (e.g. think tanks), trade associations (ABPI, BIA, APG), the academic, clinical and science communities
- Ensure Pfizer are actively visible and recognised as contributing to relevant policy debate e.g. Parliamentary debates, legislation, consultation responses
- Work with Colleague & Community Engagement Team to ensure we maximise reach of Pfizer positions and policy activities through colleague engagement channels, Ambassadors and initiatives
- Enlist support from across all UK sites in order to ensure alignment and to maximise reach and impact potential across a diverse stakeholder network
- Ensure Corporate Affairs Leadership Team, UK Leadership Team, and Regional and Global colleagues are timely updated of areas of reputational and commercial impact, and developed, related positions and activities accordingly
- Ensure tight co-ordination of stakeholder engagement, mitigating against overlap of relationships with other Pfizer colleagues and establishing rules of engagement in order to always represent a One Face of Pfizer to the customer approach.
- Should have proven and extensive experience of engagement in the UK political arena
- A background in life sciences/healthcare industry would be useful but not required
- The work covers the broad spectrum of policy, political and Government stakeholders, and will require someone who can come up to speed on the industry and healthcare issues quickly
- Demonstrated creation of, and leadership of, high impact political engagement campaigns
- Experience of working with a diverse set of stakeholders and commissioning work with communications/public affairs agencies
- Political and Parliamentary process knowledge and an existing policy network of key stakeholders
- High impact influencing and negotiating skills
- Excellent communications skills; verbal, written, presentation
- Highly pro-active, self-starter able to work with minimal day to day supervision
- Demonstrated record of developing networks both within and outside their organisation
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with senior leaders
- Effective planning, prioritisation and project management skills
- Ability to work in a cross-functional, matrix environment
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills