Political Engagement Advisor
Pride in London is run by a group of volunteers who are passionate about equality and diversity. We are a not-for-profit organisation, and any surplus funds we raise are used to support the LGBTQ community and improve the event.
Together, we run the UK’s biggest, most diverse pride, and our job is to make sure we provide a platform for every part of London’s LGBT+ community (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex, non-binary, asexual, polysexual, genderqueer and gender variant people) to raise awareness of LGBT+ issues and campaign for the freedoms that will allow them to live their lives on a genuinely equal footing.
From Pride’s Got Talent, which helps to showcase the wonderful creativity across our community, to our annual Parade through the heart of the West End and the amazing two-week, city-wide Festival that precedes Pride weekend, everything we do is designed to give LGBTQ people a platform to be visible and speak loudly to the rest of the city about what we have achieved, how far we have come and what is still needed.
Pride in London includes people of every race and faith, whether disabled or able-bodied, and all sexualities and genders including lesbian, gay, bisexual, asexual, queer, questioning, intersex, trans, genderqueer, gender variant or non-binary as well as straight and cis allies.
Around 150 people volunteer year-round to help us deliver what has become a world-class Pride. We are already a pretty diverse bunch, but we are looking to add to our diversity and are especially keen to receive applications from the BAME, Trans, Bi, Non-binary and Queer communities. Gender equality is always a key consideration for us.
Purpose of the Role
- Supporting the Co-Head of Political Engagement, this role will help Pride in London reach out and engage with politicians and opinion formers in the UK;
- Building on the success of the Political Pledge, the Mayoral and General Election hustings – Pride in London can provide a vital platform for political and campaigning discussions and debates;
- Our public affairs outreach is essential to promote the values of Pride and our community, and also to influence the decision makers.
- Working with the Co-Heads of Political Engagement and the wider communications team to help devise on priorities and policies to establish delivery of the public affairs strategy;
- Liaise with politicians, at all levels, from all parties to engage them on the core issues related to Pride in London;
- Provide strategic advice and leadership to the wider Pride in London team on policy issues, campaigns and political issues of relevance;
- Lead on the planning, coordination, delivery and evaluation of public affairs projects within the public affairs team;
- Engage with parliamentarians, London borough and city representatives, MPs and MEPs, to ensure their support and participation;
- Liaise with key stakeholders and other voluntary organisations to promote and drive collaboration with public affairs projects.
- A clear commitment to the values and ambitions of Pride in London is essential;
- Experience of working within a policy and public affairs environment is essential;
- Able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the key issues facing the LGBT+ community, and the interaction with public affairs and campaigns;
- Ability to help develop and then work to a brief, delivering key strategic objectives and requirements;
- Ability to work on numerous projects simultaneously and to turn around design work in a fast-paced environment;
- A good contacts book, and experience of working in politics or with politicians is preferred.
The time commitment varies throughout the year. It is likely the role will take a couple of hours a week. All work is carried out at home, although we will require attendance at regular team meetings, including some Saturday mornings.
To apply for any of these roles, please send your CV and covering note to The Volunteer Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org, telling us why you think you’re right for the position.