Rail Delivery Group seeks International Policy Manager
International Policy Manager
Rail Delivery Group (RDG) is looking for an enthusiastic candidate with a great understanding of European policy and legislative development and a keen interest in Brexit to join the Policy Directorate as International Policy Manager.
Rail is fundamental to the country’s prosperity. Britain’s railway is increasingly important in connecting workers to jobs, businesses to markets, and people to their families and friends. The combination of public and private investment going into the railway is set to boost the UK’s economy by almost £85bn, benefiting every region of Britain. The RDG brings together the companies that run our railway into a single team with one goal – to deliver a better railway for you and your community.
Working with the International Policy Adviser and for the Head of International Policy, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to take a lead role in many of the team’s activities and work independently on a range of diverse topics. We are looking for someone who is confident to put forward our positions at large international meetings, build strong relationships with our counterparts across Europe and be responsive to our members. As well as being great with people, we need someone who can research and develop policy, present this in an interesting way and not be frightened to challenge the team.
Day-to-day the International Policy Manager will
- Monitor the progress of legislative dossiers of interest to RDG members in order to provide analysis and advice to members so a position and communications strategy can be agreed upon;
- Draft policy positions on legislative dossiers;
- Draft policy positions on Brexit;
- Meet with MEPs and develop relationships with stakeholders;
- Manage the working relationship with CER – RDG’s trade body in Brussels;
- Manage the International Affairs vision and project plan, tracking milestones and reporting progress; and
- Deliver high-quality communications materials and organise events and contact programmes with key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will
- Have a good understanding of EU policy making institutions (essential)
- Have excellent written communication skills (essential)
- Have a drive to continuously improve (essential)
- Be a strong influencer (essential)
- A knowledge of rail or transport policy (desirable)
- Spoken proficiency in French, German or another EU language (desirable)
The International Affairs Team delivers for its members in six key areas:
- Business opportunities and development: Supporting exporting and inward investment
- Promoting GB rail: Promoting the successes of GB rail and the partnership model to build our reputation
- Cross-functional working: Working closely with other portfolios and across the directorate to broaden experience
- Influencing policy: Influencing European and international policy, in particular around Brexit
- Though leadership: Developing interesting policy positions and provoking debate
- Learning: Benchmarking and exchanging best practice, bringing international experience into domestic policy making.
The role requires a lot of travel around Europe (mainly Brussels) and occasional long-haul travel.
RDG’s Policy Directorate is a dynamic team of 12 with specialisms in a range of policy areas. We are committed to ongoing development and there are opportunities to expand expertise across a range of projects as well as undertake training. RDG offers a range of competitive benefits including discounted rail travel.
If you believe you have the qualities, skills and experience we are seeking, please forward a covering letter, CV and salary expectation to: email@example.com – Head of International Policy.
The deadline for applications is 20th March 2018.