Voluntary Organisations Disability Group seeks Policy & Public Affairs Manager
Policy & Public Affairs Manager
VODG is the leading infrastructure body for voluntary sector disability organisations. We have a hard won reputation for championing the issues affecting services that support disabled people. As we enter a new phase in our development and continued growth a new position has been created for a Policy & Public Affairs Manager. The right person will seize this exciting opportunity to help shape the future of VODG and our work to effectively represent our members’ interests at the highest level.
To lead VODG’s policy, campaigns and public affairs work and ensure that the activities are integrated into the wider work of VODG. To assist the work of VODG in influencing the public policy agenda by keeping up to date on policy developments in social ca re, health care mental health and all other arenas affecting the provision of disability services.
- Creating and executing a plan for public affairs to deliver direct engagement, raise awareness of VODG in policy and public affairs aren a s and to influence policy .
- To work with the CEO to develop and deliver our policy and public affairs st rategy, which meets VODG’s agreed aims .
- To contribute to VODG ’s expert voice by monitoring policy , legislative and parliamentary development and interpreting these for forward action planning, within the context of VODG aims.
- To produce regular internal briefings for members on relevant policy areas and sector developments.
- Produce detailed briefings in response to significant new policy or legislation as required including providing briefings to senior staff or members in advance of specific meetings.
- To identify opportunities for VODG to influence social and public policy developments such as through responding to relevant government consultations.
- To liaise with other organisations/external groups through coalitions and alliances to further VODG’s policy aims.
- To support the CEO to develop and deliver targeted public affairs strategies which enable VODG to identify and influence MPs, civil servants and other key decision makers relevant to VODG’s fields of work.
- To support the CEO to develop and deliver public facing campaigns which help to raise the profile of VODG, and to raise awareness of key issues affecting disable d people.
- To actively contribute to VODG’s internal and external communications, including website and social media activities.
- To represent VODG at external meetings and in coalitions.
- To contribute to VODG’s professional networks and programme of events for members, including close working with the Head of Membership & Engagement.
- To organise internal and external events, including conference sessions .
- Carrying out other duties as may be required that are commensurate with the role.
Closing date: 24 January 2018